Military Information

NY Active Military MSF Basic RiderCourse (BRC) Card Conversion Option

(Please note: This process does not apply to New York State licensed civilian residents that obtain a MSF BRC card after taking a MSF BRC course out of state).

Conversions of MSF BRC Completion Cards to MSF/NYSMSP BRC Completion Card/License Waiver Certificates are strictly limited to US military personnel who are New York State residents, hold a current New York State license, and who completed an MSF BRC conducted on a military installation or other providers outside of New York State.

NYSMSP/MSF staff will verify the identity of the individual, verify BRC course completion and may issue a MSF/NYSMSP BRC Completion Card/License Waiver Certificate providing the applicant provides the documentation requested.

Process Documentation Requirements:

Military personnel requesting a BRC conversion must provide the following documentation to NYSMSP/ MSF staff for review:

  • Copy of front and back of their military ID card (Social Security Number should be blacked out)
  • Copy of their NYS Driver License (NYS license is required in order to be eligible for the BRC conversion and road test waiver)
  • Copy of their NYS Motorcycle Learners Permit (or advise that they cannot benefit from the waiver until they acquire a permit and they cannot apply for a license by mail without a permit)
  • Copy of their valid military issued MSF BRC Completion Card
    • Card must be less than two years old.
    • Copies of their scored knowledge and skills tests or letter from instructor provider indicating scores, or some other verifiable method that can be documented.

Once NYSMSP/MSF staff has reviewed and accepted the required items, a MSF/NYSMSP BRC Completion Card/License Waiver Certificate may be issued.

The required documentation may be sent by email or fax to:

New York State Motorcycle Safety Program/ Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF)

434 Saratoga Road

Scotia, NY 13202

Phone: 518-384-0045

Fax: 518-384-0016


Additional DMV MC License Information:

DMV allows military personnel (and only military personnel) to complete this licensing transaction through the mail if they already possess a valid NYS motorcycle learner permit*. To do this they must mail following information to the DMV Motorcycle Safety Program at the address below:

  • A copy of their current New York State Drivers License
  • A copy of their current New York State motorcycle learner permit (Permits are only valid for one year.)
  • A copy of their valid New York State Motorcycle Safety Program (NYSMSP) issued BRC Completion Card (Cards are considered valid for two years from issue date.)
  • A completed DMV form MV-44 application (Requestors can be directed to the "Forms" section on the DMV website at
  • A check or money order for $12.50 made payable to the 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles'.

Military personnel can mail their license application and materials to :


NYS DMV Motorcycle Safety Program

6 Empire State Plaza, Room 330A

Albany, NY 12228

DMV will return incomplete or illegible documents.

*Requestors that do not already possess a valid NYS motorcycle learner permit must appear in person at a NYS DMV office, complete a knowledge test and apply for a permit in order to become eligible for the road test waiver and become fully licensed. There are no provisions in law that would allow this initial licensing step to be completed from remote locations outside NYS DMV offices.

If you have any questions for DMV with regards to this process, you may contact the DMV Call Center which will best suit your needs by visiting: